Senior Payroll & Benefits Accountant - Brooklyn Park, MN
Working within the framework of Vista Prairie Communities’ values of Caring, Respect, Collaboration, Innovation and Stewardship, the Senior Payroll & Benefits Accountant will ensure accurate processing and oversight of company’s payroll and benefit reporting, provide timely and accurate financial information, and participate in month-end financial review and close process. This member of the Finance team will report directly to the Controller.
Established in 1997, Vista Prairie Communities is an industry-leading organization offering senior housing and health care services in assisted living, memory care, care suites and respite care through nine established communities. We are a non-profit organization focused on our Mission while delivering compassionate care and service to those who entrust us with their lives, health and well-being. Vista Prairie Communities is listed as the 90th largest non-profit provider of senior housing and healthcare in the U.S. on the LeadingAge/Ziegler top 150 list.
Payroll - Duties and Responsibilities
- Processes Bi-Weekly Payrolls for 9 properties and up to 500 employees.
- Verifies Payroll entries, including earnings, deductions, garnishments and status changes.
- Reviews, reconciles and approves employee benefit administration activity and allocations for 9 properties, including health insurance, retirement, disability dental, voluntary benefits, 125 flex plan, 401(k) and SUI reporting.
- Reviews and approves quarterly 941 tax returns.
- Reviews and approves accurate and timely year-end reporting (W-2, W-2c, etc.)
- Manages payroll and benefit audits, including workers compensation, unemployment and annual 401(k) audit.
- Partners with Human Resources and third-party payroll and benefits providers to ensure compensation information is correct.
- Compiles and analyzes payroll data.
- Responds to payroll reporting questions from staff and management.
- Recommends and implements improvements to the payroll and accounting processes to increase efficiency and maintain good internal control.
- Provides education to Executive Directors, Management, and facility personnel.
- Maintains knowledge of general payroll policy, government regulations and tax requirements.
- Prepares payroll analytical reports, including organizational FTE, overtime, PTO, and other management information requests for the CFO and Accounting staff.
- Assists in the design, development, testing, implementation, upgrading and support of new or modified payroll system changes.
Accountant - Duties and Responsibilities
- Completes and posts payroll journal entries, month-end accruals and performs payroll and benefit reconciliations in the General Ledger.
- Researches and reconciles payroll related GL issues.
- Adheres to internal accounting policies and procedures.
- Provides support and guidance with Accounts Payable processing and year-end 1099 reporting.
- Assists with year-end financial audit reporting.
- Participates in accounting department special projects.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or Business is preferred.
- At least five (5) years of hands-on payroll experience.
- Demonstrated working knowledge of payroll best practices.
- Proven analytical, problem-solving, problem management and conceptual skills, including the ability to make valid conclusions for assessing data.
- Ability to successfully leverage desktop technology (e.g. Microsoft Office 365, Outlook, etc.) and vendor proprietary systems (e.g. payroll/HRIS software, etc. ) in the performance of job responsibilities.
- Proven ability to successfully manage details in a multi-company payroll environment.
- Ability to deal with confidential material in a professional and compliant manner.
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize workload to create consistently highly satisfied customer outcomes.
- Team-oriented operating style with effective interpersonal skills that allow successful business interactions with individuals of a variety of work styles and levels in the organization.
- Attention to detail and ability to meet strict deadlines are critical to being successful in this position.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- CPP certification
- Designation of the American Payroll Association (APA)
Apply today! Send your resume and cover letter to: email@example.com
Vista Prairie Communities is an equal opportunity employer.